Sunday 21 July 2013

Pass the Spotty Box ....

around,
box around,
box around.
Pass the spotty box around.
Who ...
will ...
get...
it?
(to the tune 'London Bridge is falling down'.)
and inside?
All last week, when it has been very hot and sweaty we have been outside doing the sock trail. This has kept little people (and some adults) occupied without getting hot and bothered.
Using old school socks (clean ones!!!!) I created a guessing game.
Each sock had a simple numbered label sewn on, but it doesn't have to be a sewn one, and inside is a mystery object. The children have to work out what the objects are by feeling them, although some smelling was also observed! I did sew the object into the sock to stop cheating! Pegged out on a line under the trees in the shade it was great activity.
 
 
To give you some ideas, this is what is inside the socks.
Key ring, pencil, Blutac. hair clip, battery, medicine spoon, toy dinosaur, bottle of nail varnish, tea light candle (they come up with all sorts of answers for this one - my favourite is a monster with no arms and legs!), cotton bud, bottle top, bouncy ball, elastic band (this one is usually thought to be empty - I like being mean!), 2p coin, whistle, 5p coin, marble and polystyrene packaging. You can probably think of lots more.
I'm joining in with Handmade Monday this week, as the summer holidays start on Wednesday, so hopefully I can go blog visiting as I've missed seeing what everyone else is up to.


12 comments:

Unknown said...

Another brilliant idea for the summer holidays. Bloggers are a clever lot - I keep finding great ideas to keep us amused for the next few weeks.

threads 'n' shreds said...

Ingenius!!! what a great, cheap, fun way to keep the kids entertained!! x

Anonymous said...

Fab, fab, fab. The possibilities of what to put in the socks are endless. Thanks for sharing. x

Unknown said...

A great idea!

Gertie said...

Crafters are ingenious at coming up with new ideas to keep little ones entertained xx

Anonymous said...

Great idea for keeping grandchildren amused too!

Wendy said...

Brilliant idea - I love it!

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

the sock game is a brilliant idea - and let's face it we all have lots of odd socks, without a partner, that can be used. Hope you have a good week.

Lucy Blossom said...

What a fantastic, creative mind you have - I've just sent all my teacher friends a link to your blog - they'll have all summer to think of ideas for the new term.

Fiddly Fingers said...

Sounds like a great game! Wouldn't have minded a go at this myself :)

Helen said...

Great idea!

Kitsch Stitch said...

Popping over via Handmade Harbour to say hello.

I absolutely love this idea and will definitely be stealing it as I've got a 6, 5, 4 and 3 year old to entertain (plus I'm 37 weeks pregnant!)