Tuesday 31 December 2013

Didn't we have a lovely time..

...the day we went to London.
On Sunday the Pickle-Lily family had a day out in London. It was a rather strange mix of a day. We started in Trafalgar Square to see the Christmas tree and then into the National Gallery. We took the children round to see a few of the paintings - Sunflowers, The Ambassadors, Leonardo's cartoon were just some of them. It is just so different seeing them in real life as opposed to a printed image. I wanted to buy a soft toy doll of Van Gogh in the shop with a Velcro ear to give to someone you love, but at £20 he was a little too dear!
We then walked down Whitehall, past Horse Guards, Downing Street, the Cenotaph and along Westminster Bridge, and then back again!
Carnaby Street
It was then onto Carnaby Street for a visit to Choccywoccydoodah - P's end of term treat. We both love watching the tv programme and this was our chance to visit. The shop was smaller than I expected with a long queue for the café. The staff were very friendly and the cakes AMAZING - even better in real life. It was all beautifully displayed with so many beautiful things.
Outside Choccywoccydoodah

From there P wanted to go to Liberty where I spent some of my Christmas money on some beautiful Rowan Kidsilk Haze which I knitted up into a lovely scarf yesterday evening.
Liberty
P and I also went to John Lewis where she spent money and met the bear from their tv advert. Then it was onto the new Cath Kidston store at Piccadily where I spent more of my money (and so did she!) in the sale.
my Christmas treats
We then got the tube back to Epping and back to Nanny and Grandpa's. We all had a lovely day admiring the Christmas lights and windows and it brought back many memories of when my dad worked in Oxford Street and my parents used to take me to Selfridges to visit Uncle Holly and Gamages at Christmas. Now that does date me! My children were also a little impressed by how I would walk to the tube station, catch two trains and then another long walk at the end to go to secondary school and then the return journey back for seven years.
I will just finish by wishing you all a very Happy New Year!

0 comments: