Friday 13 January 2012

Felted Hearts

Felted heart key rings
I'm not sure if I have already told you, but my lovely sisters-in-law gave me some needle felting kit for Christmas. I already wet felt (but that tends to a warm weather activity outside, with all the soapy water used) and machine wash felt, but wanted to have a go at needle felting. I have already got the traditional needle, but to be honest the barbs are just daring me to stick my fingers in them, so for Christmas I was given a Clover brush and five needle pen. I also indulged myself in the Hobbycraft sale and bought a couple of moulds and a needle pen.
So this is the Pickle-Lily beginners - teach-it-yourself guide to felting hearts! I can not say if this is the correct way to do this, as I have been teaching myself, but I am very pleased with the end result!






Place the mold on top of a normal piece of paper on the brush.
Fill the mold with short sections of fluffed out merino tops.

Punch the tops using the pen through the paper.

This is what the reverse of the paper will look like.
Carefully remove the heart, turn it over and repeat the process on the other side, still placing the paper between the brush and the heart.


The finished hearts.

I then attached them to some normal wool mix felt to make the key rings ready for Valentines Day or Mothering Sunday.
I'm now off to order a book from the library to see if I'm doing it right!

5 comments:

FeltByRae said...

They are really pretty - I love the layers of colour

Is the tool better than using the barbs? I've got an old half cork with 3 barbs pushed through and I am forever stabbing my fingers but haven't wanted to splash out on a tool that might not be better!

Estelle Grace Tudor said...

They look really lovely and soft. Love the colours you have used too x

Polly Polkadot said...

I too got a needle felting kit for Christmas so I will be giving this a go. You could just stab straight onto the felt, but that might make the back look messy!

Unknown said...

You are a very bad influence... I now want to go and get a needle felting kit... it looks like such good fun :)

Your Friend Susie said...

Oh wow, thank you for this! Will save it!